The "New" Milli Bar
Devoted To The Penn State University Certificate of Achievement in Weather Forecasting

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model app for Android

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The "New" Milli Bar Forum Index -> Weather Software
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFontana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 16:17 pm    Post subject: Model app for Android Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I know nothing beats a nice PC with large monitors, but do any of you use or know of a particular smartphone app that provides weather model data? I cannot find anything for U.S., but there are tons of model apps for Europe. Whats up with that?! [http://www.weathergeekpro.com/] would be perfect if it still had NOAA support. Anyways, no big deal...just checking. Wonder how deep it is to create one??

Thanks!
[/url]

philnyc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 03:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm never thought about it. I always look at model data at home or work on the PC, but I could envision having a need for that soon enough. Right now I have a lot going on but maybe someone else out there has found something?
sgregg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 16:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an iOS user so don't know the Android app world but always looking for a good quick way to access model data on my phone/tablet. What I've found on iOS is that weather model data apps are poorly designed and frustratingly slow. The weathergeekpro app has some value (easy MOS access for one) but definitely suffers from those design and speed problems I mentioned. I end up accessing model websites from my mobile device.

One of the better websites I've found so far that formats well on mobile devices but is also great on laptop or home computer is topicaltidbits.com (http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/) run by grad student at FSU. Site doesn't have the full suite of model products you'd find from NCEP (one example lacking: 700mb RH) but it has enough to provide a good quick view of the synoptics and the number of models available (global, ensemble, mesoscale, etc.) is useful. A nice feature is when switching between models, last viewed forecast valid time remains active so useful for comparing models at specific forecast times. Also quite easy to switch to previous model runs to see change in model over time.

Also, College of DuPage's model site (http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/) just had an overhaul to add a bunch of new features (save animated GIFs is one) and is also now more mobile friendly although I haven't had much time yet to explore the mobile specific features. See a video of updates that just started rolling out in the last day or so (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l41Cy3BvVGg).

Hope that is useful and let me know if you find other good options!

JFontana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The COD site is great. Much appreciated Steve!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The "New" Milli Bar Forum Index -> Weather Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: